“We all know that there’s a lot more to the world of gaming than is covered by
the main stream sites of today, but right now trying to explore and play games
off the beaten track is a tiring and fragmented experience. As a
community-focused site, IndieCity is a games selling platform that allows ALL
indie developers to promote, share and sell their games to an audience
dedicated to indie gaming. By creating the one stop shop for all indie games
and creating a personalised view for every individual, we aim to take the
discovery and play of indie games to a whole new level.”- Chris Swan.
These are either the ramblings of a mad man or a great insight into where we’re coming from and what’s driving us for the IndieCity site!
As Chris says we firmly believe that the indie gaming world could be far better served, as opposed to being generally hidden behind AAA attention-grabbing banners on the majority of the gaming platforms out there.
So, what is IndieCity?
- Initially a PC downloadable indie game destination. We’re not just a portal in the eCommerce gaming sense as there’s way more to it than that
- It will be an area where developers are in control of their games, can easily find their audience, and then be able to engage directly with them
- It is for ALL indie gamers. So long as a game can be considered an ‘indie game’ then we want it to get approved for our system with minimal fuss
- It will be a standard non-exclusive agreement
- It will have a game wrapper for developers who wish to integrate with it and receive additional benefits
- Initially the revenue share will be a split of sales, and we’re going to give you the best possible percentages while still being able to fund the site
- IndieCity will have demos
- IndieCity will have editorial, but not created by us
- It will be an English language-only site to begin with, but we’ve got huge plans in this area as we get things established
- IndieCity will include free games
- IndieCity will provide code libraries to help you port your XNA game to PC
- The revenue share will be 85% if you integrate with our Achievements system, 75% if you don’t
The team will be revealing details about the site through this blog (don’t forget to sign up!), but here’s some info on who is behind this:
I’m Scott and I’m the one of the community bods for IndieCity, I’m seen around the site/IRC as DrPiD! I’ve been a gamer ever since I first managed to mash the keys on my spectrum. I’m mainly a PC gamer and i’m always on the lookout for new and interesting games to play, usually due to my woefully short attention span for games.
I’m the one leading the IndieCity team and tracking our progress. I’ve been making and playing games for far too long now, which is why I’m a huge lover of the indie scene (across all media in fact). The endless quest for realistic graphics wore off on me quite a while ago, and I’m much more interested in games that push the boundaries or show off a new way of playing. I also seem to be increasingly obsessed with stats and analytics these days, and that’s another area I’ll be concentrating on for IndieCity.
I’ve been a programmer in the games industry for just over 10 years. I’m interested in artificial life, martial arts and spending time with the family. I don’t try and keep up with the latest AAA releases, which is probably why I’m currently playing Final Fantasy VI!
I’m the IndieCity front-end web developer. With a strong interest in accessibility and usability I’ll be making sure that the site is efficient and easy to use. I have been a keen gamer since the age of five where I started with a Sega Master System II. Since then I have been hooked to the majority of gaming platforms. My favourite game genres include real-time strategy, first-person shooters and racing.
I’m davecheesefish (though some weird people call me “David”) and I work together with Mr. Digby to create the bits of IndieCity you get to see, click on and generally interact with on a regular basis. I also write my own games and really enjoy the challenge of timed game jams such as the Global Game Jam, Ludum Dare and the Experimental Gameplay Project. When I get time to play I’m not tied down to a particular genre – if it’s good, I’ll play it!
My name’s Hannah (or Er00), and I’m one of IndieCity’s community managers. This is my first “proper” job within the games industry, but by no means my first sort-of-job within the sort-of-games-industry as I have been working with ProjectorGames for almost 7 years. My favourite games are mostly along point-and-click lines (ranging from Monkey Island to LA Noire), but I enjoy a good hack-and-slash (my current addiction is Dungeon Siege 2, which I recently rediscovered after ~6 years), and even the odd FPS (admittedly this is mostly just Borderlands ). Through my work with ProjectorGames I’ve been involved with XBLIG since it launched (as Community Games), and IndieCity since announcement.
I am the back-end web developer for the IndieCity team. My job is to make sure the stuff you can’t see works well. Being more of a casual gamer than the rest of the team(as well as having the attention span of a sugar crazed three year old) I am more into five minute time fillers than any games with a well thought out epic storyline. As long as it’s short, clever and original I will play it. I can usually be found wearing a combination of check shirts and knitwear.
Visit the Store!
If you are a developer, we'd love to help you make the most from your games by releasing them on IndieCity!Some of the key features for developers are:
- Revenue share you get 75% standard, or 85% if you integrate with our achievements
- Your own domain get <developername>.indiecity.com as your public facing homepage
- Customisable developer pages giving you control over your presence on IndieCity
- Pricing you have complete control over the price you sell your product for
- Apps share useful tools you've created with the developer community
- Download client users can opt-in to have the download client automatically download demos that have been recommended to them, so they can spend less time looking for your game and more time playing!
If you'd like your game to be on our Store then please sign up at !