We’ve put together a lot of research on marketing, and thought we should probably collate it rather than let it get lost in the archives!
As well as these links of the research we’ve done ourselves, I’ve also listed some links to other sites that you might find useful if you’re looking for tips on selling your game.
I’ve tried to separate these links into separate categories – practical advice, academic interest, and tools. If you don’t care about the whys or hows of advertising you can ignore the academic stuff, but we think it’s pretty interesting!
Making the Most of your Media tips for making your screenshots stand out
Community-building and Awareness as an indie you don’t have a huge marketing budget, how do you get people talking about your game(s)?
Loyalty and Evangelism how do you get your customers to turn from customers into evangelists?
Managing Your Marketing Time time management is tricky
Brand Management as an indie, should you have a “brand”?
Talking to the Press what do they want from you to make it more likely they’ll cover your game(s)?
Social Media how can you use it to your advantage?
Events are they worth it? How do you make the most of your time there?
Facebook Cover Photo Advice for making your Facebook page stand out
Eight Things All Indie Devs Should Do When Talking to the Press by Hookshot Inc.
Advertising Models some theory behind advertising
Neuroeconomics more theory about why and how advertising works on the brain
Promoter web service to keep track of press mentions, reviews, etc.
Presskit() tool for easily building an online presskit for your game or indie studio
We hope you find these useful, and if you find or have any resources you think could do with being added to this list let us know at Enquiries@IndieCity.com.
Visit the Store!
If you are a developer, we'd love to help you make the most from your games by releasing them on IndieCity!Some of the key features for developers are:
- Revenue share you get 75% standard, or 85% if you integrate with our achievements
- Your own domain get <developername>.indiecity.com as your public facing homepage
- Customisable developer pages giving you control over your presence on IndieCity
- Pricing you have complete control over the price you sell your product for
- Apps share useful tools you've created with the developer community
- Download client users can opt-in to have the download client automatically download demos that have been recommended to them, so they can spend less time looking for your game and more time playing!
If you'd like your game to be on our Store then please sign up at !